Welcome to the class blog of COM 315! This course adderssses the specific challenges involved in communicating complex, technical information to both lay and experienced audiences. Throughout the semester, we will be reading several journal articles relating to how presenters can communicate complex ideas in a clear and understanding way. Students are required to reflect on these articles in the blog, as well as apply the readings to real-world instances.

Calendar of Events

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Length could have been a factor

After all these positive blogs about the science I feel bad that I’m posting a not so positive one. I feel that this article was not very beneficial to my learning and understanding of technical presentations. I don’t know if it is because of reading the first pages I read before I got to pages that actually helped. And by then I was just reading to get it done. I feel that the length of this article affected what I got out of it. All I got out of the article was that every technical professional is faced with both writing technical papers and giving oral presentations of technical data. By the time I believe the actually helpful information was presented I was just reading the article to get it done and wasn’t absorbing the information.

3 comments:

mountbiking said...

I agree. unless i'm really into the topic, short sweet and to the point for me

WilliamT. said...

Unfortunately you didn't exactly choose a major that provides us with a lot of short, sweet and, to the point. I would like to see a technical manual that fits that category. We have to do a lot of reading its best to learn how to get the reading done not just to get it done but to acquire the knowledge it contains.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was a long article. But I walked you through it in class. It essentially crystallizes a lot of the information that we will discuss throughout the semester--form writing styles, to Arrangement, Invention (logos) as well as the tehcnical level of your audience. Its the longest article you have to read all semester, and that's also why it was listed first.