Welcome to the class blog of COM 315! This course adderssses the specific challenges involved in communicating complex, technical information to both lay and experienced audiences. Throughout the semester, we will be reading several journal articles relating to how presenters can communicate complex ideas in a clear and understanding way. Students are required to reflect on these articles in the blog, as well as apply the readings to real-world instances.

Calendar of Events

Monday, August 27, 2007

SCIENCE

At first, I was a little disappointed about having to read such long article because I figured this was a speech class, not a reading class, but as I was reading the article I realized that this was not about the typical English class assignment. Instead it caught my attention because it was about improving your writing skills and that is something I can identified myself with. The reason I say this is because I have always had trouble trying to express myself, especially when it comes to writing it down, and this article happens to have amazing tips on bettering this type of problems.

In chapter two, there is a small quote that summarizes what I am trying to pint out:

“Bad grammar, if only occasional, does not destroy one. On the other hand, to communicate effectively you have to be able to produce decent sentence.”

In my case it is easier to say things than having to writing them down. This quote shows that if one could simply write down what is on your mind without having to worry about the grammar, it would be a lot easier for anyone to communicate! In my case this is very true. Sometimes I have great ideas that I can-not share with other simply because I have to write them down, and my ability to write is very poor, but if I simply followed the tips proposed in this article expressing myself through writing would be a lot easier.

No comments: