Welcome to the class blog of COM 315! This course adderssses the specific challenges involved in communicating complex, technical information to both lay and experienced audiences. Throughout the semester, we will be reading several journal articles relating to how presenters can communicate complex ideas in a clear and understanding way. Students are required to reflect on these articles in the blog, as well as apply the readings to real-world instances.

Calendar of Events

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Chap 12

As I was reading this article I realized that I could identify myself with it, because when I read scientific articles I am usually irritated by the fact that I can not comprehend some of the words and as a consequence I get mad and simply stop reading the article. In my case is even harder to understand what a science article is about simply because English is my second language and I do not know most of the high tech words used by scientist to express themselves. If all journalists simply did what this article suggest, and remember that the public does not comprehend all this difficult words, and that the public would like to know the simple steps involved in coming out with a scientific discovery; it would be much easier for me and for many other people to understand and appreciate the whole process of any scientific discovery. I really enjoy being able to understand a simple written report and or article. I would love to be able to spend less time in the dictionary looking for definitions of words that I do not comprehend, and spend more time enjoying and learning new and interesting stuff!

No comments: