Welcome to the class blog of COM 315! This course adderssses the specific challenges involved in communicating complex, technical information to both lay and experienced audiences. Throughout the semester, we will be reading several journal articles relating to how presenters can communicate complex ideas in a clear and understanding way. Students are required to reflect on these articles in the blog, as well as apply the readings to real-world instances.

Calendar of Events

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Important notes about today's round of speeches

Just a few notes about today's round of speeches.

1) Thanks for getting us off to a good start. We heard some good topics today.
2) Don't forget to have a clear preview statement and REVIEW statement (in the intro and conclusion)
3) Our conclusions need to be further developed not just "that's it." We need to work on memorable closings more.
4) Practice, practice practice! Try to think through your descriptions, avoid fillers such as, "stuff like that" etc.

FOR CLARIFICATION, ALL OUTLINES SHOULD BE POSTED PRIOR TO CLASS ON YOUR SPEECH DAY!
This is to ensure you have thought through your speech and you just aren't winging it.

Finally, I almost have all the webcam issues sorted out. I'm afraid I was using the wrong application with the webcam today. I have tested this prior to class! But, it was several weeks ago, and apparently there are two cam apps on my PC. The app I used today wasn't configured for audio, so I essentially have a bunch of well-dressed people going through the motions of speaking. There is also an issue with file sizes, as I had initally estimated file sizes from the mpeg video to be 75-100 MB each. Unfortunately, the app I used today made short 5 minutes speeches an entire GIGABYTE! I'm really very sorry about that you all! And it is unfortunate because I wanted you to have the ability to see your speech--but such is the "burden" of going first. The app I'm using on Friday works (I retested) has audio, records in MPEG, and keeps file sizes down to a minimum.

Because our speakers were the "initiates" I will go a little easier on them...and throw in a few extra points--especially since they won't have the priviledge of viewing their video for the redo speeches. I am going to wipe my drive now of the "bad" AVI files--as it is eating up 4GB of space that I badly need back.

No comments: