Welcome to the class blog of COM 315! This course adderssses the specific challenges involved in communicating complex, technical information to both lay and experienced audiences. Throughout the semester, we will be reading several journal articles relating to how presenters can communicate complex ideas in a clear and understanding way. Students are required to reflect on these articles in the blog, as well as apply the readings to real-world instances.

Calendar of Events

Thursday, September 6, 2007

CHAPTER 12

With counsel and sound wisdom, we achieve understanding and strength. For audiences who are looking to receive understanding about complex subjects, these subjects should be explained thoroughly by a speaker who is wise on the subject. It should be recognized that we have the ability to build someone up with knowledge, or completely confuse them with our words. It is obvious, confusing statements do not aid in understanding something. It is sound explanation that guide listening hears. To be able to excel in anything, you need to practice, practice, practice. I like Rowand's statements on how it is important for scientists to study on how to explain well to audiences, instead of just trying to make sound explanations on their own. I want to have this approach when I am researching my topic for my speech. Not only do I want to learn about the topic, and explain; I want to learn how to explain. I also enjoyed how Rowand seemed to show a lack of credibility when everything observed by a scientist is accepted as fact. Another thing that stuck out to me was the sentence, “Journalists who understand the differences between scientific knowledge and everyday knowledge can help their audiences think successfully.” I would like to have this approach in my explanation of my topic for my speech. I want to be able to allow my audience to think the way I think, and see the importance of my topic. Elucidating and quasi-science explanations will aid in this.

No comments: