Welcome to the class blog of COM 315! This course adderssses the specific challenges involved in communicating complex, technical information to both lay and experienced audiences. Throughout the semester, we will be reading several journal articles relating to how presenters can communicate complex ideas in a clear and understanding way. Students are required to reflect on these articles in the blog, as well as apply the readings to real-world instances.

Calendar of Events

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Effective Explanation of Uncertain and Complex Science

Before I read this article I have to admit that I was very gullible, especially when it came to anything scientific. I believed almost everything I read without questioning the author's credibility or the information itself. Now, however, I think it's important that I ask questions to really understand the material I'm reading instead of just accepting that it's true. I know the main message of the article was to tell us how to explain complex science but I think that understanding it and knowing what to believe is important too. Overall I liked this article because it helped me realize that I shouldn't believe everything I read, even if it is scientific. However, I prefer shorter explanations. I did get something out of it but it was a bit lengthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's great insight, especially when it comes to critical thinking. I like what you said--especially that we need to evaluate what is said, and where the source comes from!