Welcome to the class blog of COM 315! This course adderssses the specific challenges involved in communicating complex, technical information to both lay and experienced audiences. Throughout the semester, we will be reading several journal articles relating to how presenters can communicate complex ideas in a clear and understanding way. Students are required to reflect on these articles in the blog, as well as apply the readings to real-world instances.

Calendar of Events

Friday, September 7, 2007

Chapter 12

The author makes many good points. I can relate to this easily. I am studying flight and interested in flight. I like learning about flight and listening to new things about flight. Now when it comes to other subject areas I'm just not as captivated. I can listen to teacher's speak all day about something but it doesn't mean I will understand it or pick it up. It isn't always a case of me not wanting to expend my horizons and grow but more or less not being as developed in the subject area as everyone around me, getting "lost in translation" if you will, and fazing out. I would like to think I'm not the only one who this happens to and that's fine. I need to make sure I learn from it though and from the author. To break things down when I present my subject area. Just because it may be interesting to me doesn't mean it will catch everyones' attention. If I use simple words though and can at least keep my audience with me without losing them, that's one step in the right direction when trying to get my point across.

No comments: